A question that I often get asked by potential students is, “What happens in a Tae Kwon-Do class?”
I’ll tell you what happens… you become awesome!
What you can expect in Master Gorino’s Tae Kwon-Do class
Truly, I believe every student in my school becomes a better person by teaching their mind, body, and spirit to all work together. That’s why we designed our self-defense classes to be physically and mentally challenging.
- We do a lot of stretching and strength conditioning.
- We do warm ups, calisthenics, punches, and kick drills. Building muscle memory is important. We utilize the Tul (patterns like karate katas) to develop form, balanced footwork, and coordinate your body and mind. The Tuls is important because it teaches you every technique used in Tae Kwon-Do.
- You’ll learn how to block and throw punches and kicks, choke somebody out, and how to be prepared for an attack.
- We work on sparring exercises (prearranged punches and kicks) to learn how to respond to a person’s attacks.
- For the kids, we have developed some Tae Kwon-Do games to play so they practice Tae Kwon-Do without realizing they’re practicing.
- Adults will work with mitts and shields for developing kicks and punches. You’ll be getting an aerobic and anaerobic workout.
- Other times we’ll take a class in an entirely different direction by doing complete physical fitness. This can include things like push-ups, sit-ups, and various other strengthening exercises.
- Sometimes we spend time on the historical aspect of Tae Kwon-Do and other martial arts, which we’ll save for another post.
There’s a wide variety that happens in a Tae Kwon-Do class, but all-in-all we develop your mind and spirit while strengthening your body using patterns and repeated punching and kicking techniques.
If you’re interested in trying out a Tae Kwon-Do class for yourself, we encourage you to join us for a free month of classes to see if it’s right for you. Simply fill out this form and we’ll follow up with you to answer questions and get you scheduled for the next available session.
Have a question about Tae Kwon-Do, our school, or our classes? Leave a comment below or send us a message and we may answer your question in an upcoming post!